Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Upholstery Project

I had picked up a chair (actually two....) from Kijiji a while ago, thinking to put them in my living room. They both needed upholstering quite badly, but I loved the shape of them.

This is the first one, as I found it:
It's hard to tell in the picture, but this off white fabric was really worn, so I started to take it off. I pulled nails, and staples, and some more nails, and some MORE staples, and eventually, this is what I had:
Yes, indeedy, there were no less than FIVE layers of fabric on this poor sad chair. The original was close to the color I wanted ( a nice deep red) but in pretty bad shape.
It had to come off too. Then I had to replace the burlap straps on the bottom and re-sew the springs. Some new foam, funky fabric, and my Mom's staple gun and.... VOILA!
My tired old chair has new life. And it's comfy too!

I still need to do some finishing touches, but all in all, not a bad first upholstering job, if I do say so myself.
On to Chair #2!

No comments: